The Most Perfect Vegan Apple Pie Recipe Ever!
Ingredients & Preparation
With the following amounts of ingredients, you can make a perfectly flaky pie for 8 people:
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups
- Ice cold water (70-60°F): 6 – 8 tablespoons
- Solid coconut oil: 1 cup
- Melted coconut oil: ¼ tablespoon
- Organic raw cane sugar: 1 ½ tablespoon
- Salt: ¾ teaspoon
- Unbleached all-purpose flour: 3 tablespoons
- Medium-sized apples: 4
- Ground cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg: ¼ teaspoon
- Organic raw cane sugar: ¼ cup
- Light brown sugar: ¼ cup
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Regular-sized lemon: 1
- Turbinado sugar: 3 tablespoons
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Peel the apples and cut them into thin slices.
- Squeeze the lemon to get 2 tablespoons of fresh juice.
- Cut the solid coconut oil into small pieces, then store them in the fridge until you need them.
Now, we’re ready to go!
How to Make the Best Vegan Apple Pie
Different from other recipes, in this one, we use coconut oil instead of butter. Using coconut oil brings a new and interesting baking experience.
First, Let’s Prepare the Filling
- Toss the apple slices with cane sugar and brown sugar, then let them drain for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Next, mix them with the rest of the filling ingredients and set aside.
Then, Move to The Crust
- First, make a mixture of all-purpose flour, cane sugar, and salt in a large bowl, then stir until smooth.
- Next, drop the solid coconut oil pieces into the mixture, little by little, and stir until it gets a sand-like consistency.
- Then, add 2 tablespoons of ice water and stir to moisten the dough. Keep doing that 3-4 times until it’s moist enough to form a ball.
- Finally, move the dough ball to a disk, then keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- After 30 minutes, take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit for 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, spread 1 thin coconut oil layer on the pie pan and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- When the dough is ready, divide it into 2 pieces.
With the first piece
- First, carefully layer the work surface and the rolling pin with flour to prevent sticking. Next, roll out the dough, form the middle to the edges. Pick it up, rotate and keep rolling the same way.
- Next, move the dough into the greased pie pan by wrapping it around a rolling pin.
- Finally, slowly press the crust into the pan to form the bottom.
With the second piece
- First, roll the dough out as you did with the first piece. Next, cut it into strips (½-1-inch).
- Now, we’re moving to the most striking part. On top of the pie, we aim to create a lattice (woven pattern). Tuck and press the edges of the strips into the bottom crust. Crimp the edges and make sure the strips stick well together.
- Next, brush a thin layer of unsweetened almond milk over the pie crust and sprinkle some turbinado sugar. Cover the pie’s rim with foil and bake for 50-70 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Finally, let it cool out after removing from the oven so that the filling can thicken up and not runny. And here you are, the perfect vegan apple pie.
Pro Tips to Note Down
- First, be patient and take time layering the apples instead of dumping them in.
- In order to get the better filling, use firm apples, some sweet and some tart.
- While making the filling, it’s important to let the apples dry to keep their shapes.
- Before baking, you can put the pie into the freezer so that the filling doesn’t get runny.
- It’s better to keep the unbaked version in the freezer and bake when needed than store the baked apple pie.
In summary, that is the best vegan apple pie recipe that we want to show you. But it can be more incredible if you add your own taste and creativity. Moreover, your love from family and friends will make the vegan apple pie sweeter and more impressive.
How do you make your vegan apple pie? Share your secret recipes and tips with us in the comments below. Make sure you’ve signed up for upcoming vegan recipes.