The Best Vegan Lentils & Chickpea Shepherd’s Pie
What is Shepherd’s Pie and When to Make it?
Shepherd’s pie, also known as cottage pie, is a popular dish from England but much loved by Americans and perfect at Thanksgiving.
People make Shepherd’s pie at any time of the year, but it has a wintery feel about it.
Our vegan shepherd’s pie can be compatible with any vegetables and help you “clean up” your fridge in a very innovative way.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie – Ingredients
Estimated time: 45 minutes
- Vegan broth: 350ml
- Lentils: 400g
- Chickpeas: 400g
- Large carrot: 1
- Medium red onion: 2
- Garlic: 5 cloves
- Tomato sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Peas: 150g
- Dry rosemary: 2 tablespoons
- Dry thyme: 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoon
- Corn flour: 3 tablespoons
- Maris piper potatoes: 700g
- Vegan milk: 100-200ml
- Vegan cheese: 100g
- Salt: ½ tablespoon
- Pepper: ½ tablespoon
- First, rinse all the vegetables.
- Next, chop the onions, grate the carrot, and mince the garlic. Then peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized chunks.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie – Instructions
- First, bring to boil 350ml of water and set aside.
- Next, drain (and rinse) the lentils and chickpeas and put them into the baking dish.
- Then boil cut potatoes for 10 minutes or until soft. After that, drain them and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, add 3 tablespoons of vegan oil in a large saucepan to sauteé the onions, carrot, and garlic until slightly softened.
- Now, turn off the heat, add in tomato sauce, rosemary, thyme, and soy sauce. Then turn on the heat (low) and fry for 1 more minute or until sizzling. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- It is now the right time to preheat the oven to about 428°F.
- Meanwhile, add lentils, chickpeas, veggie broth, peas, and cornflour to the pan. Next, over medium-high heat, fry this mixture until the sauce gets thick, coats the veggies, and no longer form pools of liquid on the bottom of the pan. Remember to stir often during the frying. Then turn off the heat.
- Next, transfer the potatoes to a saucepan. Add in half of the vegan milk, vegan cheese, and half a teaspoon salt and pepper. Mash and add the rest of the vegan milk little by little along the way. Then keep mashing until the potato mixture gets smooth and creamy. Consider adding more salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Now, spread the prepared vegetable mixture into the baking dish evenly. Use a spoon to press it down to compact the vegetables.
- Next, spoon the potato mash over the vegetables (about 1-2cm thick all over). Take time to cover all of the gaps, smooth out. Also, run a fork all over the top to create some texture for the mash, giving a crispy top.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie:
- Then place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. You can also put it under a high heat grill for a few minutes to get a beautifully browned top.
- When finished, get it out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, you can cook some veggies to serve with it.
- To serve, use a knife to cut Shepherd’s pie into portions.
Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
Trans Fat: 0g
Sugar: 4 g
Feel free to add more leftover vegetables to this recipe because it may bring out a fantastic result. Who knows? For the best presentation, cut Shepherd’s pie into shaped squared and remove all the portions. Smother with extra vegan gravy and enjoy!
Are you a fan of vegan Shepherd’s pie? How do you make it for your family and friends? Share your unique recipes with us in the comments below and sign up for more upcoming recipes.
- 5 Vegan Casserole Recipes to Bring To A Potluck
- Tasty Vegan Egg Alternatives
- The Best Vegan Turkey Recipe For a Vegan Thanksgiving